Saturday, March 30, 2013

Grand Kids

We left Galveston on Wednesday morning. We had to wait about an hour until the bad rain storm cleared and then we were off. We drove through Houston, which turned out to be no big deal in spite of late rush-hour fears. I-35 north to Dallas was not at all busy. But through Dallas, the traffic was a whole other story. It was rush hour there and very busy.

We got to the RV park and picked a site. It wasn’t as level as we’d hoped, but we got it handled. But sleeping was another story. The traffic on the road just over the fence from our bedroom was non-stop all night. Heavy trucks were a constant source of noise. So in the morning we looked at other sites and chose one further form the main road. It turned out to be more level, very quiet, and just what we needed.

On Thursday, we had lunch with some friends who used to live in Royal Highlands. We got to visit with them in their new home and enjoyed it all immensely. Thanks, Larry and Jeanne!

We spent the evening with Chris, Shadralon and the grandkids. What fun! Chrislon at 11 is barely a head shorter than me. He’s grown so much. Sha’Micah is 7 going on 30. She is so smart! We had a great time.

On Friday, Chris took us out to his work area at Love Field. He’d moved offices since we were there a few years ago. Plus he wanted us to meet some of his staff. Then we went to lunch with two ladies from his group whom we’d met when they were in Daytona Beach for a conference. It was fun seeing them again; they’re both so sweet.

Once the kids got out of school, we were back at their house. Then we headed out for dinner in Boyd, TX, an hour’s drive to the west. Chris wanted us to enjoy dinner at “gogo gumbo!”. Unfortunately, since there were six of us in our party we had to wait another hour to get a large enough table. But the food was really good and we totally enjoyed it.

We spent both Saturday and Sunday with the family. We ran some errands (we all needed to get some groceries). In the afternoon, we hung out with the kids. Chrislon showed his grandpa how he played his video games. Sha’Micah showed me her room, toys, and we watched a movie together. Grandpa and Chrislon played air hockey as seen in this fun photo.


Sha’Micah showed grandpa the book she’s writing. I’d seen it the night before while riding out to Boyd. It’s similar to “The Lion King” but in her own words. Plus she has drawn pictures illustrating the story on the page. I was VERY impressed.


Notice the sweatshirts and jackets! It was C O L D !!!! All mornings were in the low 30s when we got out of bed. Not good for us weenie ex-Florida people!

We went to dinner on Sunday evening at “Trail Dust Steak House” which just happened to be across the highway from our RV park. After eating, we all came back to our coach for desert. Julian makes great “Grandpa Specials”, made of ice cream, yogurt, granola, Oreos, graham crackers, whip cream or whatever else he can fit into the dish. It was the second night we’d done that and the kids loved it.

We managed to get a couple pictures of the family and us. Here’s one with mom and dad.


And this one includes the grandparents.


They loved Heidi, too. They are lobbying for a dog of their own at home.

We headed out on Monday morning. We’d sure enjoyed seeing the whole family and look forward to the next time. We love you guys!

Until my next installment: Happy trails, everyone.

No comments: